Wednesday, February 22, 2017

Beauty Products That Are Safe To Use During Pregnancy




There were quite a few lifestyle changes that I choose to adopt while pregnant; a cleaner beauty regimen was one of them. I throughly researched what was safe to use during pregnancy, what could potentially be harmful for the baby and then promptly raided my bathroom shelves. It took quite a bit of time to research products, consult the experts and in some cases, reach out directly to the beauty brands to make sure that the product in question was totally safe for pregnancy. Having spent so much time and effort, I vowed to create this blog post to help other expecting women discover beauty products that are safe and in my opinion, work really well!

Ingredients To Avoid

There is a lengthy list of ingredients to avoid, here are some of the big ones:
  • Aluminum chloride hexahydrate (found in anti-perspirants) 
  • Beta hydroxy acids (salicylic acid, 3-hydroxypropionic acid, trethocanic acid and tropic acid)
  • Chemical sunscreens (Avobenzone, homosalate, octisalate, octocrylene, oxybenzone, oxtinoxate, menthyl anthranilate and oxtocrylene)
  • Diethanolamine (DEA) (found in hair and body products)
  • Dihydroxyacetone (DHA): (found in spray self-tanners)
  • Differin
  • Formaldehyde (hair straightening treatments, nail polishes and eyelash glue)
  • Hydroquinone
  • Parabens (propyl, butyl, isopropyl, isobutyl and methyl parabens)
  • Phthalates (synthetic fragrances and nail polishes)
  • Retin-A
  • Retinoic acid
  • Retinol (Vitamin A, retinoic acid, retinyl palmitate, retinaldehyde, adapalene, tretinoin, tazarotene and isotretinoin)
  • Sulfates (sodium laureth sulfate)
  • Toluene (found in nail polishes)

Pregnancy-Safe Beauty Products

And here is a list of beauty products that I used during my pregnancy that do not contain any of the aforementioned ingredients as of 2016. I absolutely love all of these brands and have continued using these products while breastfeeding.

Face


Makeup

I took my makeup routine down a couple of notches during my pregnancy, those precious extra minutes of sleep meant everything! 


Body


Hair


Toothpaste

Nails

  • Nail PolishZoya and Cote I'm so lucky that their bungalow is right up the street for me! I treated myself to a couple of mani/pedis towards the end of my pregnancy when I could no longer reach my toes.
  • Nail Polish RemoverZoya


Hopefully this list is useful to you! What products did you use during your pregnancy? Also let me know if there are any other products or brands that I should add to this list.



1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I just came across your post! I wish I found it sooner! I too did an extensive search and reach out to companies to find safe products to use. It is so nice to know I am using almost all of the same products as you recommend! I will be sure to share you post with fellow expectant Moms looking for a clean routine! Thank you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...