Inspired by the magical little hummingbirds that started coming around our home last summer, I painted these two colorful little birds. It all started with one very friendly, ruby-throated humminbird who would sit outside and sing the same song all day. We hung a hummingbird feeder for him, and before long, more hummingbirds showed up.
After a couple of weeks, I could stand outside, and he would come right up to my face, hover, then go to his feeder, eat, and take off. He was so cute!
5 interesting hummingbird facts:
- Their wings flap in the shape of an infinity symbol when they hover
- Hummingbirds can fly backwards, left, right and forward
- They flap their wings about 80 times per second
- Their feet are for perching, not walking or hopping
- Hummingbirds symbolize joy, playfulness and adaptability
I haven't seen him in awhile, I'm hoping the spring brings him back!
Back to the art-- this was the first time that I painted in detail with watercolors. I usually use watercolors when I'm painting abstractly and acrylics when I want to paint details. I really liked the way the watercolors allowed me to add depth and layers of color so nicely on top of each other and I was still able to get the detail that I wanted.
I have added the 8x10 Happy Hummingbirds print and the Happy Hummingbird birthday card above to my Etsy store, i make pretty, check out the new goods!